As I sit up in bed, toggling back and forth from note-taking to making arrangements for tomorrow's playdate and Sunday's girly brunch on the iPad, I am intermittently celebrating. As I write notes for the psychologist who will be assessing and developing a plan for Isabela's ADHD, I am beaming at the fact that I am going to spend five hours at Texas Childrens Hospital for a neurological condition that I can actually help control/accommodate, without any medical intervention, without any terminal effect. Too many times I have prepared for clinic visits that could potentially break my world in a million pieces. In those visits, I learn that I can't control any of it. But, this one, this " one" is just a simple little thing, in Isabela's grand scheme. Sure, this means specialized school settings and a prayer for increased patience for Sammy and me, but this is "ok"! (If only this was the worst of our problems.) Although Isabela behaves anything but what my Type-A brain finds therapeutic, I will continue to adore her, advocate for her and fend off anyone who doesn't embrace her exuberant energy :)
But, once, maybe once, she can actually sit on the couch for a 1.5 hour movie. Just once. Oh, the things I could get done!
Isabela will not be able to take medication because of her heart medicine. Good thing I know a thing or two about this sort of thing. Actually suspected this from the time she was 3 yrs old.

Fyi..Research is showing that approximately 80% of children with heart disease have the disorder. They believe it has to do with the amount of time on the heart by-pass machine. For Isabela, that was a lot of hours of a machine keeping her body alive.
-- Posted from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment