Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Little Food Junkie


"Mami, I like to try new things. I want to try eating an egg, please!"


As we are at the local Starbucks for a special morning treat minutes before Isabela's first day of school, she is relentless about selecting a new breakfast item. I am hesitant to let her choose the pre-packaged assortment of grapes, cheese, apple slices, bagel, peanut butter WITH a hard-boiled egg because of the egg. She eats everything in the world, but eggs. I was afraid the egg alone would discourage her from eating the rest of the price-y breakfast. But, she said what I quoted above. How could I steer away from that. The verdict? With her teeth, she shaved off slices of the egg white and looked at me with a fake smile, not wanting to advertise that she may have been wrong in her quest. I then asked Crystal to split it and introduce her to the yolk. She clearly lost the battle at that point. She said, "Ok, never mind. I really don't like eggs." But, thankfully, it didn't stop her to proceed with her cheese, bagel and everything else on that plate. I will say, I admire her willingness to try all things and especially food. I do appreciate her fondness for the food experiences in her life. I don't think she could survive this family of ours if she didn't!


For now, the only food item she will not eat is an egg. Gosh, all those delicious omelettes she will miss out on!
OH!! After meeting Isabela's teacher yesterday, she was very firm about what she expected the kids to bring in for snacks. She emphasized "healthy, no less." I love that! So, Isabela's choice today: pretzels, edemame and a small vegetable juice. For lunch, she has started making the following suggestions for the list on our next market trip:
tuna fish sandwich
sardines
veggie chips
hummus with wheat crackers
tomatoes
veggie patty
apple slices
popcorn
black beans with feta cheese
raisins
turkey meat with alfalfa sprouts
tomatoes, again
chicken noodle, tomato and lentil soup
AND "as a treat" she tells me, "Oreo Cookies!"
However, we highly encourage some serious splurging around here in moderation and so does her school, the school serves Chick-fil-a every Wednesday for lunch. What a treat Isabela thought that was!

2 comments:

Candace said...

Oh, Brenda! I can only dream of my children eating hummus and black beans. We still need to chat about all your secrets. Unless you're going to tell me (like my pediatrician did) to starve them. That proved to be useless advice. Maybe it's to my own doom, but I'm unwilling to let my children go hungry.

And I'm sure one day, Isabela will be an egg lover, too! She is such a good eater. What a blessing!

Unknown said...

At least she tried it!!!! Cavett and I have been talking alot about "growing new taste buds" and trying new foods. It seemed to work a bit as he tried a CHick-Fil-A chicken sandwich and liked it. He will also now eat a "hot dog sandwich"!

I'm with Candace, she will eventually come around on the eggs. Maybe she needs to try it cooked another way later?