Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Deep in the Heart(s)

Valentine's Day? Yeah, no. Not around here. We have had a Valentine's Month! It's been all about hearts around here. What a great shape to teach about lines of symmetry, love, friendship and health. Cutting up multi-patterned hearts commenced around here largely due to the widely celebrated Valentine's Day. Although I think it's quite cheesy for all romantic purposes, I absolutely love celebrating friendships, especially through Isabela's eyes! So this is how it all unfolded, for all the different reasons:
Crystal surprised Isabela with a bucket full of treats when she was in town for that one day on February 8. She's awesome! With all the college busy-ness, she didn't fail Isabela.
So this was Isabela's Valentine gift to her classmates. The idea was not only to get away from handing out candy, but I thought it would be fun for Isabela to see one of her favorite new idioms come to life! This is one of our favorite little things to say to one another. Followed by, "You drive me nuts/bananas!" As an ESL teacher, it's always so fun to watch a Spanish speaker learn how nonliteral English idioms can be!

Another lesson. I can't just immerse myself in kid crafts just for fun. They have to have a purpose. This one taught her symmetry with the hearts and apparently, the parts of a plant (bilingual vocab.)

Poetry lesson. Not anything wildly creative, but it worked! But, most of all, friendship lesson.

Isabela's Class Valentine Party!

This is a pic of Crystal in her dorm building receiving her delivery sent from us. TootSweet Cupcakes in Austin, Tx were awesome to take this pic as she picked up her dozen cupcakes we sent with love! The pic was emailed to me within seconds.Isabela was treated to McDonald's by her Papi on VAlentine's Day Eve. What a treat! If you look closely, I got a treat also!
Isabela is all about High School Musical! The first kid movie she has ever seen in its entirety. Me too! We all love High School Musical now. Good thing it's Rated G.
On that same Eve, Sammy gave me my V-Day present! Wine made especially for me, with special labels. 2 Malbecs, 2 Riojas and 2 Sauvignon Blancs! It's very common for me to open presents on the eve of most holidays/birthdays. I can't seem to wait on tradition.
This was the winner when choosing our dining venue on V-DAy. It was the first time we actually ate out on this day. Because Feb. 14 fell on a Saturday, we had to eat out as we usually don't bring out the pots and pans just for the three of us. So, Sammy and I were so excited to try out this little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant near our new house. With patrons only at two other tables, we had the best service. Gosh! It was also delicious! $34 for 3 entrees, 3 drinks, 3 pastries and tip!

Happy Hearts and Tummies!

This is our new favorite little cupcake bakery. Isabela and I have been searching for the perfect cupcakes for her upcoming "Happy Heart Party" in which we are celebrating her impending heart surgery.

We found a winner!
Just another Valentine's weekend outing. Isabela loves sea creatures.

With more hearts, Isabela assembled her "Happy Heart Party" invitations. Only 6 went out. We can't expose her to too many people now that surgery is around the corner. Plus, she is quite happy with all of her little BFF's.


And for my last heart-ful report, this photo depicts my stealing a kiss with ISabela as I volunteer the morning of the 5K Heart Walk. I had arrived at 7am to help set-up and Isabela got there about 9:30 am with her Papi. What a great cause for healing Hearts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous celebration and I am so glad we can share in it with you!