Saturday, October 10, 2009

Just Another Life Lesson


My big baby is home!!! (after not seeing her for 5 loong weeks)

As you can imagine, we all went crazy around here in anticipation of her arrival. Isabela must have asked me about 406 times, "when is Crystal getting here?"

As soon as she got here, we all exchanged gifts (will blog about that later) and we were off to have dinner. We asked Crystal to choose any restaurant she was in the mood for. Isabela thought she would help out and suggested, "McDonald's!" Yeah, no. But, after going through the endless list of eateries that Houston is known for, Crystal resorted to her favorite, old faithful,Ruggles Cafe.

Before that, she and Sammy ran into a store to choose a nice bottle of Sav. Blanc to have with dinner. Nice thing about Ruggles, you can take your own wine and not even pay a cork fee! Crystal prefers white over red.




Oh, I must mention, we were looking quite swanky in our "winter wear"! Last night we got to revel in 50 degree weather! I think all of us girls were wearing something new for the season-- yes, exciting weather stuff for Houston!

So, Crystal's usual? Buffalo Burger. It used to be mine, too, until I had over three hundred of them. But, I have always had a runner-up meal, The Griller ( veggie pesto sandwich). That's what I ordered and as I was rounding up the specific preparation for the sandwiches, I could easily remember the deliciousness of The Griller.

Then sadly, the descent into Boca World hit me. My beloved veggie patty was no more, as it was replaced by another, from plastic wrap, from a box, named Boca. (gross!) I quickly looked around, called on the busboy and in Spanish, asked for his manager. Sammy and Crystal made quirky eye contact and purposefully stuffed their sandwiches in their mouths as to appear very busy with their mouths, thus not adding to my conversation with the manager who immediately appeared. (funny stuff!)





Surprisingly, the manager turned out to be the same person who took our order and advised Sammy not to order the veggie burger, as opposed to buffalo burger, because as she put it, "aghhh", as her index finger pointed to the roof of the inside of her mouth. As I explained my disappointment of the new change, the manager insisted that it was the same patty, one really loved by many patrons. I also insisted that I knew the difference and that I would never buy a Boca patty at the supermarket, much less for $8.95 at a restaurant. I told her that I refused to eat it. She asked if I wanted a bean burger instead. I asked, "is it made from scratch here?" She said, "definitely." Ok.





Lesson learned? I leaned over to Crystal and asked her if she thought I was out of line. Her response was that she's used to it. She further added, "you make sure you always get what you want. Nothing wrong with that. And you're very nice about it."

So, yes. I may sacrifice a bit, not get exctly what I want, depending on the circumnstance. But, I want my girls to employ their rights to go after what they want. Not to settle.

I want my girls to make sure they get what they ask for....in a restaurant, that is!




-- Posted from my iPhone


No comments: