Growing up without a father, an abusive stepfather and having most of my relatives in Guatemala, friends have been a special gift from God. I am blessed with so many, so very different ones. Each friend in my life, whether we are really close or not, offers me something so unique and profound. I am so relieved that each beautiful woman is woven with a different colored thread, no two of the same in any of them. Because having all of them offer the same kind friendship, really wouldn't bring me at full circle.
I do have some friends who don't believe in "best girl friends". I know it's because they have been hurt to some degree. I get that. I have had my fair share of loss all the way back in 5th grade. But, with all that, if you want to know how I feel about the possibility of true best girl friends, I can tell you that I believe. I so believe. If I didn't believe, how could I promise to my girlfriends that I will give them the best of me as a friend? Sure, my husband is my ultimate, tell-all, best friend. But, golly, there's so much I take from a girlffriend that makes me a better woman, mother and wife.
Just recently, I have been told by a friend not that I am her best friend, but a sister. After seeing her with her other well-loved sisters and brothers, I know she didn't need to add me to her list. I can see how content she is with her special relationships. But, she feels I belong there, too, in her family. For that, I thank God for the gift of people who cross the barriers of blood.
Friends can be family. Family can be friends.

On the same subject of "gifts", this is a pic of what was awaiting me when meeting my "sister" for dinner this past Saturday night. When I asked her, "why?", she responded with, "oh, just because." As Sam and I were opening the little bag, she pointed out that it wouldn't be much, "just a little something." Well, she was wrong. The size of the packaging was a misgiving. My heart could hardly contain the contents of that gift.

Sam and I take friendships really seriously. We take family really seriously.
I promise to be the best friend, and sister, that I can be, to all my girlfriends...por vida.
-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:
Post a Comment