
After three months of searching for my new stepping stone in my career as an Educator, after almost 6 years of dedicating most, if not all, of my time to Isabela by putting my career on hold (quite gladly), I text messaged Isabela's cardiologist, Heather. She was one of the first to know, "I just accepted this (dreamy) full-time job. I stayed home for almost 6 years for Isabela. Am I doing the right thing? I feel so guilty. This is ok, right??" Heather promptly responded by text messaging, "Totally OK!! So happy for you!"

Although I was offered the (most awesome) job on the spot, during an on-the spot, by invitation only job-fair type interview, with ten people waiting feet behind me, I was reluctant to accept on the spot. That Saturday morning, I asked for a lengthy visit at the school before committing. I wanted to first feel the energy, meet the educators and most importantly, watch who would be my new leader/Principal interact with the staff. This Monday morning, after 3 hours of fulfilling my sight with all the components on my checklist, I asked if I could start tomorrow!
I am super excited. The Principal needs someone to take on some of her responsibilities, along with guiding and managing the curriculum and teachers' practices, of the entire school, 1000+ students. I get to drive instruction...Math, Reading, Writing, etc... and coordinate what the teachers and Reading and Math Specialists do - as the school's new Instructional Coordinator/Coach. I am now part of a school's administrative team. One step away from the Principal's office.
Where will we live? I had a particular interest in the location of any prospect. Although, I will (once again) be part of the 7th largest school district in the nation, we are not likely staying in Houston. Our future will likely take us into Katy, Texas, the most amazing school district in the greater Houston area, according to honors and the state accountability measures. A district fit for Isabela. Although, I have a job offer there with an amazing Principal, a previously scheduled interview on Wednesday, I chose the HISD school for one main reason. Because Katy has a lot more affluent areas, professionally, it wouldn't feed my soul the way I need it to. Even though the HISD school I chose today wouldn't be a school I would comfortably enroll Isabela in, it is exactly what I need, professionally. It will be challenging. 91% of the students are in the low-socioeconomic bracket. 80% of students are at-risk of failing. There is now a new influx of non-English speaking refugees coming in from the Congo, India, Iran and Vietnam. I get to drive that instruction, too! With so many "needy" students, if you aren't needy, the reality is that there is a greater chance to be left behind. I so can not wait to empower teachers, support them and advocate for them. Best of all, can't wait to learn from them.
After 4 job interviews, I have been blessed with 5 job offers (including my current Principal), in the three different school districts in which I applied with, during a time when the budgets of school districts are suffering like they never have before. It was obvious to me this morning, I feel God must want me exactly where I decided to sign the dotted line today. It feels so right.

The silver lining? I still have 2.5 months off in the summer, all the Winter and Spring Breaks and holidays, and I get to pick up Isabela from school at 3:15 pm. She will hardly feel a change in my time with her. Without a doubt, although I am thrilled to have the right to be more than a mother, my family is my first priority. My career has to work around that, not the other way around.
Funny enough, of course, on the day that I decide to return to the full-time work force, I received an email from the PTO President letting me know that I have been nominated to join the Executive Board of the PTO. Translation...more PTO commitment. Who has an "Executive PTO" anyway? Just the regular PTO is hard enough! Oh, well, look out for my new letterhead, "An active member of the Executive PTO Board".
I

1 comment:
Congrats, Brenda! That's awesome!!!
Post a Comment