I found your school...finally! After 8 long school tours which began in January, I can't believe that I overlooked the school that your Aunt Nancy and your cousins Bryan and Zachary have attended (7 min. drive away). On a day that I was immensely frustrated and scared that I wouldn't find just the right place for you, your Grandpa Pops was here and passed along the idea. "Of course!" is what I exclaimed. The next day I toured, today you were assessed and I must say that after seeing everyone congregate around you after your assessment, I knew you belonged there and that you felt it too. It all fell into place so easily. I am always amazed on how you have the energy that makes everyone gravitate to you. I wish you could see it from where I stand.
This time, I did not make any mention of your heart disease until after your assessment. I was not about to let anyone else handicap you or even give you special treatment in admitting you. I wanted YOU to merit it all for the wonderful person you are.
Additionally, when I talked to the school's nurse about your heart disease and the precautions I would expect them to take with you, I asked her "Do you think your school can handle her?" The nurse so sincerely replied " Of course. All children deserve to go to school." The school had me there.
(Papi's office)
However, with this happy new-found news comes a bit of a bittersweet stage in my life. Because I wanted a more structured curriculum for you, that means you will attend school on a full-time basis-- Mon.-Fri, 8-3. I was torn about that one. I just love being with you on weekdays that I don't work. But, today, I implored to myself that this is your time, not mine. You would think I would be thrilled about having 16-24 hours a week all to myself, but I am not, at least not right now. So, of course, before heading out the exit doors of your new Catholic School, I asked about signing up for their Volunteer training and background check. I hope you are ok with sharing your space with me. I just want to support your academic environment any way I can. But, don't worry, I just may pick up those tennis lessons I have been waiting to pick up these past four years :-) Wow, am I really a mother of a College Kid and a Pre-Kindergardener? Is it my turn now, already?
Con Carino,
Mami

1 comment:
I knew it would all work out! It seems to take forever, but when you find the right place, you just KNOW. What an incredible feeling. Congratulations to you & Isabela! You'll have so much fun volunteering. I have Anna Beth's friends asking her if I am a teacher at her school since I am there so much. It is such a blessing that I can be so involved. Great to hear that you'll be able to do the same. Isabela will continue to shine!
Post a Comment