
I went into work today. It started out bad. Really bad. Not directly for me, but for those I respect and love. Seems like a lot happened since the 5 days I had been away. A first-year teacher feels scrutinized now. Her test scores are not meeting expectations, her instructional delivery needs some tweaking and apparently, she confided in other team members about some of her frustrations, and those thoughts are now public knowledge, but not in the harmless way she said them. There is so much to her story that the bosses don't know. Instead of any attempts to ask her why she has been treading in water, they have condemned her. When I asked this teacher why she didn't speak up, she said "What difference will it make?"
I will be spending a lot of time in her classroom now. Gladly. If anyone asks me what I think, I will tell them.
This experience is already shaping me as a future school administrator. "What not to do."
This teacher is the epitome of what every teacher should be...right down to the core. Now, the school will never know because she is already preparing her exit plan.
Come on People, there are always two sides to a story. Just check it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment