Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dream Job

(Double Post tonight!!!)

More details to come, because there are many. But, I must shout out... I LOVE my new role, my new campus, my new team, and my new Principal - who lets me do her job alongside her!

I can't wait to meet the students and parents. You know one of them. Yup! Isabela will be joining me at work! Even after losing all those precious dollars in registration fees at the Catholic private school, and the investment in school uniforms, this feels right. Her private school was awesome on many levels, but a bit too conservative on other (very relevant) levels. Best of all--- at my school, she will be in the Bilingual Program! 90% Spanish. Of course, she is eligible only because her first language is Spanish and it's spoken at home. She should be able to effectively read and write in Spanish by the end of May. This is a backward approach on my part since she already reads and writes in English (normally the other way around), but I know she will easily transfer those skills!

Although hectic time of year, I LOVE taking her to get school supplies, the excitement, the lessons in organization, preparedness and "plan B's" for supplies/resources. Reallly enhances that respect for her supplies. Love the scent that goes with it, too...crayons..pencils..!

Fun times...I get to have my exciting career back, completely monitor my daughter's instructional day, be within arm's reach if she's ill, watch her on the playground with her friends, eat lunch with her whenever, go on all the field trips, never miss a school event, support her teacher in using the best teaching practices and be home by 3:30 pm to be "Mom"!!! (Christina, I can already hear your laughter mixed with moaning..hehe!) Don't worry, this will only be for 1-2 years. I will let her go..one day.

OH...another big reason she's going with me? Diversity. Obviously, if she's in the Bilingual program, you can imagine that Isabela will no longer be sheltered. The student body will not exactly reflect her private school. I can already see her eyes opening wide. This is my one effort, of many more to come, in her quest for the hunger of humanitarianism. I want her to participate in the world. The "real" world.

No comments: