
As I write this, I hear beautiful noise around me. There is the occassional "Nerd!", "Dork!", "DUH!", "Are you serious?", "That's pretty cool!" and then some college admission notices and scholarship talk. The noise is being emitted by three teenagers. Tonight, it's Mary, Jordan and Crystal seated around the glass table with Luke, via speakerphone. In the past three hours, they have left on two spontaneous missions to get burgers or pick up a friend who got into a terrible argument with her mom. As I watched the door slam closed, I looked forward to their return and immediately thanked God for giving me even more of these moments of this adolescent stage of Crystal's life. I wouldn't want to do anything else this Friday night. But, at the same time, I brutally remind myself that this will change in the coming year. Sadly, so sadly for me. I LOVE this noise and I do not want to let go of it.
Being the "cool house" has been one of the best things the past several years. Crystal, along with her friends rather be here than anyone else's house. With that comes the dutiful task of stocking up on Cokes, ready-to-bake pizzas, ice cream and take-out menus. Tonight it was KFC. Sam and I gladly feed these kids and give them every reason to want to come back. As you know how teenagers tend to work off of a special clock, they are often times when they drop by unexpectedly and Sammy and I have to quickly straighten up and sit up straight on the couch. Even at midnight! But, that's ok. I will sit stiffly for hours if I have to. Crystal's friends being here, keeps Crystal here, safe at home. (Plus , the whole dramatic high school life isn't so boring to me either!)
Crystal, I love you so much. Sammy and I could not be more proud of you - YOU are AWESOME!
P.S. Crystal got official word today from UT- Austin that she's IN!

1 comment:
Congrats Crystal!!!!
Post a Comment