This weekend, "Spring Cleaning" bolstered into our house. It was evident that after our remodeling project last summer, we were so excited to enjoy the comforts of our new kitchen and face-lifted swimming pool that we shoved many items in our upstairs closets and in the garage so fast just so that we could splash into our pool and relax. However, finally, 8 months later, we were so done with the futile attempts of planning to "clean out and get rid of", that we collectively forced the issue by redoing what used to be the guest room and got a new desk to make it the "office". We organized, threw out, assembled donation bags and labeled "garage sale items". Yup, we have so many big household and baby items that we just may have our first garage sale (one day)!
Ok, so today, the "Spring Cleaning" continued. The windows were the focal point of today's mission. We have many french style windows that adorn the house. We saw that we needed to clean and wash curtains. As I looked at the washing instructions on the labels, I read "line dry". It seemed daunting to me and for a second I almost made a huge mistake. I wanted to dash out the door and take them to the cleaners as I do most of our stuff. It's easy, right? Well, thank goodness my brain took me back..many years ago. You see, growing up with very little, brought on a different way of household chores. As I held the delicate ivory curtain in my hand, I saw myself helping my mother hang clothes on the clothesline. As I continued to look around in my memory, I saw all the neighbors houses displaying their laundy the same way. So, guess what we did! It was so cool to be unconventional! Or is our dryer unconventional. The point is that both Crystal and Isabela saw a different way of doing things, independent from the modern way of life they could feel empowered to be self-sufficient.
Oh, now that we have a cool backdrop (although wet), Crystal and I want to put on a puppet show for Isabela as the curtains hang there to dry. ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment