Surgery
Posted Apr 15, 2009 2:56am
They are taking Isabela back into surgery. Her chest tubes keep bleeding more and more and they need to find ou why.
Sam
A Rough Night
Posted Apr 15, 2009 7:38am
I will start by saying Isabela is doing better now. She did have a rough night. I got a text from Brenda at 1:42AM saying Bela's bleeding was not controlled. She was taken back to the OR, where Dr. Fraser carterized an artery inside her chest to help stop the bleeding. She was re-intubated (breathing tube placed again) but I would think she will be extubated soon if not already. I last heard from Brenda at 4:11AM where she said "Back on a good course." Brenda and Sammy were going to try to sleep some at that point and Brenda's mom was going to sit with Bela. That is all I know. Keep the prayers coming for no more bleeding and continued healing.
Rounds
Posted Apr 15, 2009 11:32am
Dr. Fraser (surgeon) just came in and gave her a thumps-up. That pretty much sums up isabela's state of recovery. The plan currently in place is to extubate her, then begin small amounts of water and then hopefully she will start on solids if she can tolerate the liquid. We hope to see all that unfold today. All the while, we are looking for decreased chest tube drainage.
Sam and I got to sleep a couple of hours! We are gearing up for the dreaded first three days of painful fluid restriction. Isabela's normal disposition does not include grumpiness, whining or unhappiness. We are not looking forward to seeing her go through the necessary course of action.
I am sorry for being short. I am at bedside communicating through my mobile phone.
We are reading every piece of your messages!
We appreciate all of you!
Brenda
Day 2
Posted Apr 15, 2009 9:59pm
Today's course went exactly as planned...strange concept for Isabela compared to 4 years ago. But, we'll take it!
She was extubated about 1pm today. She took her first ounce of water at 3pm, followed by yogurt at 4pm. The difficult phase that we were warned about has commenced. The idea is to keep her dry, which means 1 oz of water every hour and only solids. Isabela adores water! So, not only is her body in pain from a chest wound and 3 chest tubes, she is so thirsty! It's hard to watch, but her body is supposed to magically acclimate to the new fluid restricitons in a matter of days. We have to get used to it as she will be on this restriction for a great number of weeks. Next, is to have her moving around. It will be quite the struggle for Isabela, but we will do it together! Robyn, her newly appointed Physical Therapist (and friend) will supercede in this goal!
At this point, we are praying for mobility, an infection-free environment and sleep for all!
Before I go on my quick jaunt to sleep land in the waiting room, I have to send a note of gratitute, again, to all who have walked with us through this journey in the years prior to today,but especially, today. As we endure this recovery process, I know it's hard for everyone to think of ways to support us, but know that you do so much by praying, calling, sending messages, visiting or bringing meals. All the pieces have been adding up so that Sam and I feel so much more empowered. He and I commented today on what an awesome crew we have. We know we are so loved by family, friends and colleagues. Most importantly, we know that Isabela has a huge fan club cheering her on! That's what it's all about for us.
Lastly, we hope to go home soon with ISabela. But, it will happen when she's ready...whenever that may be.
love, Brenda

No comments:
Post a Comment