Thursday, June 4, 2009

Post-Surgery: Day 7-10


Day 7
Posted Apr 20, 2009 6:22pm
Isabela's famous words of the day "Let's go walking Mami!" It was great to hear her enthusiasm since that is the key to help the chest tube drainage and repair her lung issues. At this moment, she still requires her two side chest tubes and is on virtually no oxygen! We walked so much and later in the evening I happened to ask my friend Robyn, her physical therapist, how I would know that her oxygen tank had depleted. Turns out, we walked all those hours w/out any oxygen...empty! So, that was encouraing for us as we are trying to work our way off of it. Only 1/2 of a liter to go. Also, this morning, ISabela had her middle chest tube pulled out. The surgeon was adorable and gentle. As I was listening to the child next door scream bloody murder after his chest tube removal, Dr. Bryant was warning me that Isabela would experience a fair amount of pain. So, again, I encouraged her to scream and cry, even though she was on a small dose of Morphine, I was told to brace myself. Wouldn't you know it, a whimper here and not there. She was done and the nurse and I looked at each other like "are you serious, you're not screaming?" It was funny and I was relieved. Not only did she have the tube removed, but her steri-strips covering her chest incision were removed. What hid under it was a bad allergic reaction to the strip. It looked like a relaly bad sun burn! WE have a hydro-cortizone cream on board.

On a another great note, my mother and I noticed that Isabela is reclaiming her silly personality. There were many smiles and laughter. WE were so grateful! I was one full of smiles today, too. Isabela can now walk on her own and ride a tricycle better than ever! Again, she just amazes me!

I think the highlight of my day today was when the PCA (who takes vitals every 4 hrs) commented to me how she was telling other nurses just how beautiful Isabela is, "precious" is what she added. I thanked her and told her that I agreed. Then I proceeded to describe to her just how beautiful she is on the inside, too, and how we felt that was most important about her. She told me "that's what I meant, beautiful in the inside."

I so love you Isabela.....

Brenda

Day 8 - Part 1
Posted Apr 21, 2009 6:58am
Good Morning!

We have been up around here since 4:30 am for weight check, vitals, x-ray, chest-tube drainage and medical assessment, already! Of course, that does not inclue the hourly overnight interruptions for medications, breathing treamtents and more vitals. It know it sounds awful (and feels awful when you're exhausted) , but every piece of those bedside services are necessary. The assessments are used to evaluate Isabela's progress and imperative for discussion during rounds to design the plan of the day to ultimately heal her.

So, in today's rounds, there was debate on removing her chest tubes! That's great! However, the surgeon we just met yesterday was not very comfortable extracting them since he just met her. Wanting to be "conservative with her" is what he told me. I was "oK!" with that. I love that word "conservative" when it comes to Isabela's medical care. I say, Let's get it right!

Anyhow, so, don't know a discharge date yet, we have only begun day #8, but we're getting there! Once chest tubes come out, we stay up to another 48 hrs. for monitoring. Not bad!

Let's pray that they come out tomorrow!

(make sure to read yesterday's update posted below)

Brenda
Day 8 - Part 2
Posted Apr 22, 2009 5:55am
It's about 4am, and I think I slept a straight 3-4 hours with one breathing treatment interruption right before. I feel pretty good and Isabela seems to be sleeping pretty comfortably, with no oxygen assistance, may I add! Hmm...I may also feel so great because I know today is supposed to be a really good day. Her chest tubes are scheduled to come out this morning! Of course, ISabela's chest just has to confirm that her output overnight was stable or decreased. Once that horribly painful procedure is done, in order to work toward the highly anticipated discharge, she has to have an ECHO, heart ultrasound, to confirm that her heart is squeezing as it's expected. Also, her chest x-ray has to prove that Isabela's lungs are quite capable of handling her breathing without those highly pressurized breathing treatments she gets every 6 hours. Isabela can not go home needing those treatments because the contraption utilized is not very mobile. So, lots of praying for big things so that we can go home in a few days!

On a different note, I have to ask the surgical team overseeing her care if "Flirting" is a factor looked at when thinking about her discharge readiness, because we could safely say that Isabela can check that off on the checklist. Yup! Isabela has developed her first crush! My father-in-law and I saw its conception right before our eyes! You see, Isabela gets her breathing treatments from a Respiratory Therapist. Just about every day, we meet a new person. Today, it was Brad. The minute Isabela saw him walk into the room, she lit up and she had this gleaming smile that she just couldn't help herself! It was funny to still see her smile under the mask as her head shook from the pressure of the treatment (smiles never happen during that). Once Brad left, she walked to the glass door and asked the nurse and the PCA if they could go find him and bring him back to her. They obliged and he was there minutes later. She started laughing, bending at the knees and then ran to get her sunglasses followed by a quick lip gloss spread over her lips! Once she was done, we walked outside and she and Brad went for a walk around the unit, side by side. It was so very sweet to see ISabela's heart react in such a way. :-)

By the end of the day, Isabela's cardiologist, Heather, came by to check on us. I just have to say, we LOVE her, and often times, especially during this special surgery, I feel like she is my lifeline here and anywhere. She is an extraordinary doctor and person. Brilliant, is what we think. She is a huge piece in Isabela's life and future. We had a long discussion about Isabela's life after this hospital stay. While we were talking, I couldn't even believe we are almost there, life after this surgery...we have been talking about this surgery for four years and what big plans could be possible, after surgery. Now what?

Love, Brenda

Day8...or 9????
Posted Apr 22, 2009 10:21am
WELL, THEY ARE GONE!!!!!
I stuck around the hospital this morning for Isabela's procedure of removing her final two chest tubes. It did hurt a bit, but Isabelas just took it in stride, as she always tends to do. Now, it’s time for her Echo, X-rays, and monitoring for a day or so to see how things pan out. If everything goes well, we will be going home in the next day or two. Quite amazing on isabela's part, she beats all odds once again!!!
Thanks all for you constant prayers and support.

P.S. - By the way, the respiratory therapist will not be coming home with us. He will be staying at the hospital treating other kids, advance, and hopefully move to another country soon.......

Sincerely
Sam
Day 9 &10
Posted Apr 23, 2009 11:11am
I am so sorry Carepage Friends for not updating yesterday. As usual, we have had guests and to prevent Isabela from climbing the walls in this room, we have been parading all through the unit AND outside! Yes, we got to go outside yesterday! Isabela and Diego played for a good, sunny while. I was thrilled for Isabela and even thrilled for Diego. He has been kept away from the park and public places for several weeks by his Mommy so that he can remain healthy enough to come around Isabela so that they can play together and so that his Mommmy, Daniela, can visit me every single day! AND his Daddy will be leaving work early today (as he's done before) so that Daniela can come alone to give me a break! Anna and Mark have also had a great deal of sacrificing family time/work time to be here for me all these days!! I am telling you, this hospital stay is not all Me or Sammy. FRiends and Family are doing everything in their power to be here in any way and when they can't, I get the calls, the messages and the spiritual energy I need! You all ROCK!

So, today, on this wonderful day that I get the confirmation that HOME is TOMMORROW, I called on my mother, she will stay with Isabela for a few hours, and I will finally get to see my home...to take a long nap! I feel sooo guilty about it, but I am soooo exhausted! sleeping 3-4 interrupted hours a day is not so easy when you have a 4yr. old that is back to her active self! YAY!!!

Poor Sam, I know he hates that he can't help me much by sleeping here. He has responsibilities at work that he can not neglect. You ROCK too!

Crystal, we can't wait to see you, hope you can come this weekend, you are the best medicine for Isabela's heart...mine too!!! I love you.

I will update more soon!

Brenda

No comments: