Thursday, June 4, 2009

Special Shout-out from Sam



Sam's
Posted Apr 20, 2009 12:17am
HEY ALL, THIS IS SAM.
Do I seem pleased, you bet I am!!!
Isabela’s oxygen saturation continues to climb. She is walking around now, and had a great day. Hopefully we can work on getting her chest tubes out soon and her oxygen sats up just a little more so she can go home soon, but we will wait until she is ready.
That little girl of mine continues to amaze me!!
Now, in her life, she deals with these extraordinary changes and she questions me “why”. “Why is this here, what are they going to do with this, why are we here, why do I have this thing on my chest?” I sat and watched her sitting up in her chair today and she is bewildered by what is going on. I looked into her eyes today and see that since she has gone through this, she is uncertain of the next moment and what it carries. She is just smart enough to know that things are “out of the ordinary” but not smart enough and too young to understand why.
Isabela is an amazing child. She continues to deal with uncertain situations and strives in the end. And, like her mommy said today, does it all in a respectful, polite way. She treats everyone around her, at any given time, with politeness and never has a bad attitude toward anyone, even nurses, when things are not going well. I want to share on example of her personality. Today, early in the morning, a breathing treatment was scheduled for her. Not a regular breathing treatment, this machine is like a nebulizer or CPAP machine on steroids. It is uncomfortable, noisy, annoying, and foreign to most that have it for the first time. The respiratory therapist comes in at about 6-6:30 am this morning to give it to Isabela. Isabela is asleep, of course. I heard her come through the door and woke up to go stand by Isabela. Isabela heard the machine go on and looked up at the lady and said “please, not now, I am trying to sleep, please come back later”. I thought to myself, if someone were to wake me up in the middle of the night to do that to me, I would not be so pleasant. So she continues to strive through these obstacles and continues to beat every one of them, YOU GO ISABELA!!
I do not write often lately, but I would like to thank some of those who continue to help us with Isabela’s recovery time. First of all, my dad and Brenda’s mom. I truly know that because of you two, we are able to focus more on what Isabela needs to recover from this surgery and get better as quickly as possible.
Dani and Anna, WOW!!!!! You two are the glue that I think holds Brenda together every day. She loves you two very much and your support and aid to her every need at this time is pretty evident from m point of view.
My sister Nancy. Our stomachs thank you!!!! Bringing us food, babysitting Isabela while Brenda gets a little break, and the overall support that you have given us is amazing. Thank you so much!!
Raveena, that basket and other items are out of this world!!! I looked into the basket that you gave Isabela today very closely for the first time and noticed all the goodies in there. No only the basket, your other items really catered to what Isabela likes.
I can sit here and write all night about you all, so many of you love Isabela and know that each and every one of you are on my mind.
Kelly and Ellen, you two also, I know that you have been thinking of Isabela.
VALERIE, YOU ROCK because you are one of Brenda’s rocks!!! You are very important to us.
Christine, miles away and still doing what you do, awesome!!!
Rob and family, Isabela loves her stuffed toy and clothes. She loves flip-flops!!
Multiple gifts, calls, IM’s, e-mails, etc. I recognize every one of you.
Last but not least, my wife Brenda. Great job on everything and keep up the excellent work that you have been doing. “Tough Love” at its best, with a hint of class!!
I have more to say but I will continue at a later time.
As always, thank you all!!!

Sam

No comments: