Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Door-to-Door





Isabela's school is holding an"elective" fundraiser to support the PE department's effort in purchasing specialized equipment. I decided to let Isabela sell a box of 64 World's Finest Chocolates for our own educational purposes. I absolutely dislike selling anything, much worse, fundraising. I have always preferred to be a giver than a taker. As a matter of fact, that was a BIG question for me when scouting private Christian schools for Bela. I did not want it to be an obligation bestowed on me. But, in this case, I thought this one was a little one, and most importantly, a choice. The two big fundraisers at the school do NOT require my business skills as they are a Fall Festival with a silent auction and a golf tournament. Two things we can have fun at, and not impose selling anything to our friends and family. Whew!

So, there we went Sunday afternoon on Izzy B's tricycle and Sammy on his bike. Isabela was learning about dollars and cents and the exchange of goods in order to support her school's initiatives, as they support her with hers. Her last line after every and any small and big purchases to our neighbors was "Thank you for helping my school!". She successfully sold $26 worth of bars in less than an hour. She actually begged for more doorbells, but Sammy and I were pretty done. At the very least, we gave Isabela the opportunity to explore through the possibility of her own business head. Sammy's side of the family are all pretty much entrepreneurs.

We are down to about 25 bars now, with Sammy and I hitting up coworkers! We will tackle the family on Saturday at my nephew's b-day party. We have have bought from so many Catholic schools in our family, that we are confident to have them take the rest of the bars off of our hands. ;-)
Just some extra pics of our evening activity after our fundraising...roasting pumpkin seeds..yummy! Isabela did it all on her own!



(Jennifer, I agree with your post...yuck to fundraisers!)








No comments: