
After travelling this weekend and going into work on a non-work day for me, I am so very glad I have my mother who commutes by a city bus to my house to only: empty out all the trash cans, fold all of the stacking laundry, bake a roast alongside a pan of real Mexican rice, sweep the floors for me, air out my rugs, and to finally entertain Isabela as I lock myself in the study to do hours of homework.
Mondays are usually my 12 hr days of homework (not counting the other 8hrs spent when Isabela is asleep), so that I don't sacrifice family time on weekends or evenings. Between breaks, I make phone calls, pay bills, make appointments and take care of very small household chores. A lot of times, I just have time to make a list for Sam to do. But, this Monday (and a few others), I went into the school I work at because I swapped it for my usual work day- Tuesday. Isabela has a school field trip tomorrow. Just as I plan to always do, I am chaperoning. Although there is nothing that makes me happier than being there for Isabela, the scheduling throws off my week and my homework time. So, I called my mother this morning, knowing she would appear, as she has been about 3 times a month, to relieve me from parental duty to catch up on homework. Thank God for her.
Even though Sam and I have always had a pretty equal share of household duties, he is finding himself carrying a lot more of the burden. His honey-do list isn't so short and sweet anymore. There is an obvious shift on household responsibilities. And there is never a complaint. The guy even prepares my coffee in the morning after he prepares my surprise lunches for work (sushi being my favorite!). Also, when I am not going into work, I can hear him whispering to Isabela to be very quiet as they get ready for school, so that they can allow me to sleep in. I could go on and on about his awesome-ness these past two semesters. Most of what he does, is never at my request, it's just his thinking on how he can simplify my life. Thank God for Sammy.
Even my girlfriends have sacrificed Girls Night Out around my schedule :-))
When arriving at the decision of going back to school, not just for any degree, but the Principalship, I had already consulted with other teachers or specialists who hold the degree. I was pretty well informed on the weight of the load. I was told it wasn't like the Curriculum and Instruction graduate degree I had previously studied. This plan would take me into many, many intricate studies involving all scopes of running a company. Nonetheless, I really wanted it, so I went for it. I must admit, I didn't think it would be this difficult to juggle it all, but I also didn't know how much support I would receive. But, still, absolutely no regrets. I take it a week at a time. It also helps that I LOVE all the learning I am experiencing! It have evolved as an educator in so many profound ways.
Today, one of those teachers who initially guided me told me that she's been wondering how I've been able to handle it all. She pointed out that most people she knows pursue this plan before starting a family or when their children are grown. I explained it to her and I think I just explained it here. I do not handle it all. We all do.

No comments:
Post a Comment