However, Texas' state budget for education is really getting in the way of what I want. Approximate School districts funding is provided from these sources: Local 55%, State 45 %and federal 10%. Even with a 5% shortfall from the state, local school districts are finding themselves looking in places in their budgets that almost seem non-negotiable, 5 % is a heavy hit. I actually felt the brunt of it a few weeks ago. After a great experience with a set of interviews with Houston ISD, to fill a Literacy Coach position for the entire Elementary School, I got the job. Besides the fact that I was offered a role to support all grades, instead of the 3 I do now, I was excited about the 1 mile drive, the warm climate found in the hallways and the "dreamy" Principal I was to report to. However, 2 days later, the state had their way and the position no longer exists. Huge bummer.
Now, I am back to daily visits with my resume and talking to numerous people at a few local school districts about how unclear the job situation is. Bottomline, this upcoming school year is going to be the start of the toughest economic period in Texas School Financing. Because our states have elected to receive only a small handful of federal money, for controlling purposes and a desire for great distance between government and state, our schools will have to look at cutting services for students, increase class sizes and having the waste baskets sit full a little longer than usual. Yes, even housekeeping and cafeteria servers are being affected. Bottomline, if you are in Education, you can have job security as a classroom teacher or an administrator, that's it. A plus? Teachers will continue to get raises, well, because you have to bribe them to stick around for the rising hardships that will come from less money to operate the schools. So, you see, my role, as a Literacy Coach, in which I get to support teachers on their craft, so that they can be more effective teachers, is too much of a non-essential role when it comes to less money.
I have been talking to former Principals of mine. I am being encouraged to apply for Assistant Principal roles, even though I am not certified yet. It's something that I wasn't even ready to entertain until about 5 yrs from now. The problem isn't really that I will likely not have a job next school year, the issue is that according to my Grad school plan, I must be working in a school setting in order to complete my 150 hours of internship in a 4 month period. Without that internship, no graduation in December..or even May.
I am on edge right now, I won't lie. It's finally MY time and my hands seem to be tied. I have all these ideas and approaches for student achievement, but no where to share them. It's frustrating. Every school district near me has a hiring freeze and cutting jobs (270 in HISD alone). HISD is the largest district in Texas, therefore leading the way in budget transformation. The topic right now in legislaton isn't so much on appropriate pedagogy, but on keeping schools open. At some point, Educators and students will not be the only ones feeling the bumpy ride. Almost half of schools' revenue comes from local monies. So, yeah, that means property tax exemptions may no longer exist. It's only my guess, one I hope it doesn't have to happen.
At the moment, I can only sit back and pray for the best. God knows where I need to be. I will be interested to see where we will live. Because where I find my next blissful professional role will be where we live. I am not willing to have a long commute and miss out on family time. So, it's up to the school districts to determine that for us. That also means that I can not apply just anywhere. There are only four school districts that I am willing to live in, out of about 25 in the greater Houston area. Yeah, that kind of stinks.
For now, there are many blessings in life and many things I have control over.
Thank you, Sam and Armando for making a few of my favorite things happen!

I am in love with hamburgers and Shock Top!
-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:
Post a Comment