Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Oh The Things You Will Do!


How can something so beautiful be the most extreme pain all at the same time. How can something feel so natural, but at times feel like the most difficult job in the world. I am referring to Motherhood. The past couple of days have been difficult around here. My pain comes from watching Crystal's sadness about her dream school, Columbia University in NYC, accepting her, but not. She found out yesterday that she is on the Wait List. The way it goes is that she's good enough for Ivy League, but there's not enough room right now. Crystal said she feels like "second best" and that kills my heart. Today, like every single other day, I want her to know how I think she rocks this world...at the very peak.

Crystal is not one to sulk for too long. She's already focusing on her appreciation for still having two other wonderful opportunities. Two of the top Engineering Schools in the country want her. She actually has a tough decision to make. We have a plan now and , together, we will work toward figuring out the right decision for HER. We talked about how God has a plan for her and that it may very well not be in New York City. I told her that her future husband may be waiting for her in Austin, TX or her lifetime best friend may be in Troy, New York. There is a reason for what she contends with now. This in itself is a life lesson for Crystal.

My heart is aching as I am waiting for her "very" low-fat chocolate cupcakes to bake. I am just so grateful that, right now, I am not that parent who had to push her to get to this point. I am so grateful that I am not that parent who wished Crystal had better school choices. I am so grateful that while we will be affected financially for her education in a big way, I won't be that parent who is at a loss as to how to pay for it. I am so grateful that she has these big dreams for herself and does not let anything get in the way. I am just so grateful that Crystal is who she is. She completely met every expectation we had for her and more! What a wonderful person she has allowed herself to become.
I am hugely impressed, Crystal. You are one of the greatest loves of my life.
(the photo is what Isabela and I got for Crystal to make her smile...and she did!)

2 comments:

Falcone Family said...

thats cool, thanks!I love you. By the way they were the best healthy snack I've ever had not just your best.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry Crystal. But, your "mom" is right, maybe God has a better plan. Either way, we will help you forget about it and have fun this weekend.