Friday, April 18, 2008

Teenager + Toddler = HARD STUFF!!


The past two to three weeks have been especially hard on Isabela. Her routine has been modified due to several new (temporary) factors. I have been feeling so guilty because she has missed out on her regular "Mami y yo" time. It made me really realize that just because Crystal is a teenager, doesn't mean I have an easier time with just having a small one to run after. With Crystal, there's a different type of involvement necessary. One that is mentally consuming, as well as time consuming. Poor Isabela, she's been having to watch us work on "big girl" stuff for weeks now. Not to mention that the past three weeks I have doubled my work schedule to 4 days a week because of intensive instruction for our state standardized testing. That has been hard on me and everybody.


With Crystal lately, it's been a fusion of things. Let me see, there's prom. The dress, the hair, the make-up, the dinner, the limo, etc. We shopped and shopped and shopped looking for the perfect dress. Then designing the look of the night has entailed having my expert, younger friends come over and practice with her hair and make-up. It's been incredibly fun, but there's been a lot of "hold on Isabela", "No, Isabela!" and "Please don't touch!"


Then there's been the graduation logistics. Ordering all the little things necessary for the grand celebration. We have yet to complete her portraits. Scheduling has been an issue. Especially with her upcoming Senior trip to Washington DC.


Lastly, but not less important, are the college plans. We researched and researched and researched. We crunched numbers and then more numbers. Until finally we got direction from one of Jane's friends who is in the Aerospace field. She answered many unknown questions and then some. What a lifesaver!


Now, it has been especially busy with Crystal the past few months. But, thinking back, it always has been. You see, we spend a lot of"quality"time together. There's a lot of dialogue between us. Plus, I am always trying to fit in that last-minute life lesson that I might have forgotten to teach her along the way. This week, it was "How to throw a party". With co-hosting Anna and Mark's baby shower, I had Crystal involved with my listing and planning. She thought I was crazy for thinking she needed to know this now. But, she does!!!


Life will be simmering down a bit as my work contract ends in two weeks. I will have four months with my girls. But, in this past week, I have also realized that it worked out nicely being able to raise Crystal as a single child for most of her life. We have an incredibly close relationship because of it. I am hoping that I will make those gains with Isabela as well as she will be raised as a single child, for the most part, in the coming years. I will admit that I would have another little one if I could, as there are many blessings in that, too. But, for now, I think this is the way God wants it to be...for whatever reason.


Isabela got to see her BBFs, Cavett and Kendrick yesterday. I hope she thinks I made it up to her with such a beautiful visit with strawberry picking and a nice picnic. I promise there will be more soon.


Side note: Thank you Crystal and Isabela for my beautiful, yellow rose today. Your approval is my greatest human judgement :-)))) Las quiero mucho....


No comments: