The Alexander shower came and went, Crystal was off to Washington DC this morning and my mother requested to keep Isabela for a bit longer this Sunday morning. What quickly popped into my head was the idea of Sammy and I just hanging out today...just the two of us. We made it to an 11:10 am showing of "Under the Same Moon". It was a bit awkward to go to the movies at that time on a Sunday, when on most occasions we would be getting to or leaving a mass. But, the way I saw it, I was nurturing my marriage and I know now that one doesn't have to be in a congregation to worship. Nonetheless, the time with Sammy was awesome and the movie was spectacular.
It was important that I see this particular movie. Being a daughter of two (formerly) illegal immigrants, there has been a certain lifestyle that goes with it. Growing up, there was always a constant reminder of what it meant to be in America. There was always a clear line drawn of what we were supposed to be, not be and most importantly, the understanding that anything was good enough and to make sure that we respect the way of the "gringos". Actually the hard part was not having to do all of that nor was it having little money, it was the lack of the encouragement of education. The tip of each day was all about surviving that very same day..with beans and rice.
I realize the sacrifice my parents made to make it into this country. My mother was 17 years old and crossed through two countries to get here. She ultimately helped design this life of mine. Even knowing that, I have very serious contentions on how I feel about this new reform our government has on illegal immigration. Many might be surprised on how I actually feel about it considering I am an American product of two people who came into the country without permission. In the interest of avoiding any political differences, let's just say that I strongly feel that reform of the system is needed by putting a solid structure in place and that it's not only the USA's responsibility to "handle" the issue.
In Under the Same Moon, the little boy who fled Mexico to search for his mother in East LA, carried a backpack with him in the midst of the many near-fatal confrontations he had. Beside a metal spinning top and a small bundle of money, as an audience member, I never could catch a peek of its contents. I wondered what the little boy would deem as important enough to transport to what would be his new home in the USA. Does he really need the backpack to carry the richness of his country? My mother didn't and neither did my other neighbors in my old neighborhood. But, they carried so much in their souls. Today, as we drove through my old neighborhood to pick up Isabela and my mother, Sammy and I drove up and down many of the streets. In our journey, I asked him to find a "panaderia" (bakery) for me. I knew that in there, I would find many of the richness my fellow neighbors brought from Mexico....30 different types of "pan dulce" (sweet bread). As I scoured through the shelves for my favorite pastries, I excitedly remembered so many memories that were tied to each different shape and flavor. Growing up, we used to only have cake at birthday parties, any kind of pie only came into existence when I married into Sammy's family and muffins and bagels are still brand new in my world. But pan dulce was on the table after every single meal along with cafe con leche.
My mother and I don't have the closest relationship. I love her so very much and I know that I would give my life for hers. I think we do most of our communication through the bounty of our culture. She has given me so many gifts of music, food, traditions, and parenting. There are times I forget to thank her for the sacrifices she has made for me. I hope that she feels my gratitude through every little thing I do for her now.
I love people-watching. I am fascinated by the study of sociology. Honestly, I don't ponder too much on what Christianity is or not. Maybe I should. But, I do love learning the differences and similarities among all of us and knowing why people conduct themselves in the way they do. I am always asking questions. When I see a difference between myself and another that fascinates me, I take it and add it to my own list. Life can be so tasty...just like hummus and bell peppers. That just sounded like the most peculiar combination to me, it was so brand new to me yesterday, but I savored it quite easily...like I do this little life of mine.
(Sammy's grandparents on both sides came over from Italy, illegally. I whole heartedly appreciate them for their sacrifices and cultural gifts also)

No comments:
Post a Comment