Friday, April 11, 2008

"A Thousand Times Over"


I wouldn't consider myself an avid movie-watcher. I can be highly selective on what I watch. The whole "wasting time" bit is what takes over me. Plus, my brain is very particular as to what is entertaining and time-worthy. For example, you couldn't persuade me to "Waste" my time with a science fiction movie. The way my brain sees it is "if you can't apply it to real life, why bother." I am too much of a realist to really appreciate its artistic intent. As a movie-watcher I want to walk away with something meaningful. I want renewed hope, insight to a new phenomena or a lesson that needs to be learned. Ok, I will admit, my arm does not have to be twisted either to watch a really good romance. I do enjoy seeing the girl get the guy. Now, that's for entertainment purposes! But, the movies I usually cling to and stay with me are ones I can connect with on some personal and deep level. There aren't many, but I can list them easily.

My favorite movies have been and are: The Way We Were, The Mirror Has Two Faces, Sound of Music, Bridges of Madison County, Step Mom, Family Stone and The Notebook.

After three years of occasional movie watching, I have added one movie to my top list. After highly anticipating its DVD debut (too hard to go to the theatre w/ 2 busy kids), The Kite Runner ran its first course on our TV. We will soooo be getting our own copy. You know how you usually are disappointed w/ a movie version after reading the corresponding book? Well, this time, it's not the case! By the end of this movie, Crystal told me she would never watch a movie with me again. My perfusive crying was kind of loud and endless. With good reason, there were times my heart broke once, then all over again. My heart danced with hope and then it all of a sudden, it cycled again into turbulent phases. It reminded me of last summer when I was not able to put the book down once I started it. Even Sammy felt like he had already read it because I talked so much about it. The only reasons I even considered reading this fictional story was because many of my fellow teacher friends commented on how difficult it was to follow (most of the setting is in Afghanistan) and that it was a powerful friendship story. I was intrigued enough as i love a story about true friends. I stopped to wonder what I would walk away with. Honestly, it didn't take long for me to feel the passion in every realm of a friendship, parenthood, brotherhood and patriotism...and with just a tiny bit of romance.

The movie exceeded my expectations. Initially, I was afraid to be disappointed since I hold Khaled Hosseini's writing to high regard. Months went by in which I had no leisure reading after reading The Kite Runner because I couldn't and wouldn't believe another book could compare. Funny thing is that when I finally read his other (spectacular) second book a few months ago, "Thousand Splendid Suns", and carried it around, three strangers couldn't help in stopping me to tell me that they too could not read for a while after his first book. Anyhow, the movie was awesome, but quite disturbing. It was disturbing on various levels. But, every disturbance was in a very realistic fashion...too realistic to what we find in our world today.

So, what did I walk away from this one? I treasure my freedom in our beloved country. How many times do I go to sleep at night and thank God for our beating hearts, our family and friends, our home, our jobs and then ask for one more day filled with all of those treasures. From now on, I need to thank him for all of that AND the freedom to be able to have and hold in any way we wish.

Now for another powerful book that will be having a movie debut on Lifetime channel is The Memory Keepers Daughter. Again, in that one, there is a profound connection to my very own life. I will let you know how I rate that one. Please keep in mind that I realize I am no expert in cinematography, I am just merely looking for the poignant messages.

No comments: