Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to the Workforce!

Today was such a cool day!! I went back to work! When my non-mom colleagues heard me speak that I was excited to be back (them not so ready), I can see the looks on their face resonating "don't you love being at home with your children?". What they must think of me? What they don;t know is that YES, I love being home with them, but it feels oh so good to have another purpose in my life, plus, it's two days of the week, 7 months of the year = 98 days a year. I get to bask in both worlds, both mom clubs, the stay-at-home and working mom clubs. Plus, who cares what they think, it's what works for me and God created me with many purposes in mind. Plus, what would I do now that Isabela will be going to school part-time?

Ok, I was so curious and nervous to see how our new "boss" was going to approach us, handle us. He was formerly one of our assistant principals, so it's a big promotion and an unexpected surprise to all of us. He's the kind of guy teachers have always had an easy time talking to and loved working with, but I worried how he would fill a leadership role, especially at such a young age. In his first address to us as our new principal, he was just the same old Jeff. AND the teachers sat there, looked perky with their jaws dropped. You see, he's kinda hot. Many teachers jokingly admit in entertaining fun fantasies and he's a funny guy. I thought it was hilarious just watching the teachers. I can't dare share their fantasies since we will work closely together, that would be gross! But I am just so glad that when my team and I met with him, he said words like "sure, whatever you want", "tell me what works for you", "you tell me when", etc. I LOVE that in a leader..trust me that I will do my job and achieve our common goal. No hovering! That's a Texas Longhorn for you!

Nonetheless, what was the best part of the day was when one of my colleagues, a 20 year veteran educator who is a literacy coach, told me something that made me feel oh so good. We were involved in a presonality test activity. She and I began talking about teacher burn-out. I shared with her that I have started my 3rd year as a Reading Specialist, 9th year in education, but that I was already working towards my exit plan that would occur in about two years. I have some ideas on what to do next. She asked if she could make a suggestion. So, of course, I welcomed it...she said, "You would be a great administrator (Principal)". Wow, I was not expecting that one. Especially because I know what an expert she is. I disagreed and told her that I am too quiet, not so involved in teacher chitter-chatter and I like to do my own thing and run with it. She went on to give me all the reasons why it would work. Wow.... BUT, I told her I can't. Because, even though I exercise my right to juggle work and family, I really can't have it all. Being a Principal would impede on my role as a mother. The hours are longer, the responsibility is greater and there would be less of me for my family. Unless Isabela is already in college, it's a sacrifice I am whole-heartedly ready to make. The truth is, I do have a little, weenzy, bitty desire to contemplate the idea of at least an Asst. Principal. Supporting teachers, listening to teachers and teaching teachers is my passion right now. So, for now, I am back to my Reading Specialist role, part-time...for the next seven months. The next step will stay on the drawing board.

It was such a fun day at work! I just love being back! I think it will be a great year and I am dying to meet and greet my new struggling readers!

On a side note and speaking of reading, I am not teaching Isabela to read in English. That will be her school's job. I am hoping to get her to read in Spanish by the time she starts Kindergarten (two years from now), but I am so NOT pushing it on her. She will lead the way. I am her mother first and probably do as much as any non-teacher mom does. However, the other day, she picked up a birthday card and was trying to read the name "C-A-D-E-N-T", I heard her sounding out most of the letters, and came up with "Cavett". Pretty close, especially given that is is not a common "sight word"! The Reading Specialist in me was quite proud! Good job Bela!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed your time back. I totally agree with the other teacher about being an admin. You would be fabulous! But, I understand where you are coming from with needing to have time for family.