Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Day in Pre-Kindergarten


The morning started off with a special, out of the ordinary breakfast treat, kolaches with coffee. I think it was more of Crystal wanting to splurge ;-) We pulled up to Isabela's early childhood building, I gasped and with little restrain, the tears ran down. Isabela looked at me and asked me what was wrong. I, of course, lied and told her they were tears of happiness. They sort of were, but the reality was that I was mad that I had to drop her off, that she needed to have a life without me. But, with Crystal helping me along, I did the dreadful thing of walking her into her classroom. She walked right in, quickly found her name tag on the table and instructed me to leave her things because she was fine. Her teacher was awesome and did not rush me out of the classroom. I LOVE her new teacher, Mrs. Armstrong. She is a mother of5 children.


I think what really helped me feel confident in leaving Isabela is the prayer and music we shared at chapel a while after the start of school. I received such an assurance to be able to talk about and call on God during Isabela's academic environment. As a public school educator, I am legally prohibited to display such affection, even though I wish I could. But, leaving Isabela was easier than I thought just because of the school's underlying principals and core foundation; praising God. It was everywhere. I hope we can continue to afford a Christian education for Isabela in the years to come and that this route provides Isabela the academic success she needs for higher learning.

In the end, after I spent a girly day with Crystal involving shopping for school supplies like.. walking shoes, fun earrings, and manicures with pedicures, we picked up Isabela promptly at 2pm. I was expecting a report from the teacher advising me to help with Isabela's willingness to follow directions, etc. Her exact words were "She had a great day! She had trouble staying in her seat, but it was because she was grabbing instructional items for the kids (crayons, markers, scissors,etc.) and handing them out as they were needing them. She is a "Little Momma" taking care of everyone." I agreed, that's Isabela for you. She has an amazing interpersonal style, always concerned with everyone's happiness. I am proud of her. Going forward, If she comes home with grades a little less than A's, I am ok with that, but not respecting and really loving everyone else around her, is not acceptable.

Way to go baby!!!

(pics of her actual first day are not available as I don't know how to transfer from our fancy, more professional camera. Sammy's department and he's still away on business. will be posted soon)

I will try to post on Crystal's big drop-off in the next few days. The plan is to pack up the boxes and luggage tonight (with Crystal's guy friends helping ;-), leave about 8 am tomorrow, arrive at the dorm and unpack all belongings, enjoy the hotel that sits on Town Lake, pick up Sammy from airport, take Crystal out on the town in the upscale Warehouse District, then leave for a weekend mini-family vacation at the Hill Country's resort. We hope to lounge at the pool, tube on their lazy river and go horse-back riding. Sunday evening will be then be left to do the unthinkable...the moment in which I will not be allowed to turn the car around....

No comments: