Monday, August 11, 2008

No More Babies Around Here

Felicidades Mi Amor...4 anos!!!
We have come a long way!
What a very special gift for me...obviously, with a lot of love...read the very special meaning behind this quilt.. on Jennifer's blog..
Vamos a Bailar!
Crystal's fan club...I think 1o more boys and girls showed up after this pic..yikes!


The beginning of an era is coming. When I started this blog, my focal intention has been to publish our family's life for Crystal and Isabela to have one day and look back with utter joy of a meaningful childhood and most importantly, gaining an understanding of my way of raising them. Initially, I couldn't wait to publish the first book, thinking I would surely do it after my 25th post. I am terrible at waiting for things. However, I am much better at finding a good stopping point, in order to create the best starting point for the next time I pick it up. So, after almost 90 posts, the book has yet to be published. Of course, because the good stopping point is on its way. That prominent moment will be the day that Crystal is in Austin, Tx starting the first day of her adult life without me by her side scaffolding her, the day Isabela finally begins her very first day of school in her almost 4 years of life, Sammy continuing to embrace his new career and when I return to my part-time job, at the school, under the direction of a new boss. In less than two weeks, we will all be transitioning into a new era of our personal growth and identity.

To kick it all off, this is what we have been doing this past weekend...

Isabela had her 4th birthday celebration! In usual Latin American style, we had about 40 kids and adults, who were all spread among the front yard bouncing in a moonwalk, in a playroom having a multi-family drink spill accident (lol!), feasting on rice, beans, tamales and Italian sausage in the kitchen, overstuffing little mouths with buttery popcorn from the patio's popcorn machine and way into splashing and swimming like fish in the swimming pool, right before the highly anticipated activity of hitting the pinata and waiting for that moment in which all the candies spill out (mosquito pinata) . It was a fantastic party, filled with so many people who love Isabela. In the end, as usual, I savored in unwinding with my crew and regretted that the party was too big because I barely hung with Isabela. But, fortunately, her birthday isn't really until the end of the month, so we will have our own, intimate birthday celebration in which I will smother her with all of my attention. My wish on Saturday was that Isabela felt the love that surrounded her. What sweet memories.

On Sunday morning, with throbbing feet, it was necessary to clean the house, and prepare it for Crystal's surprise 18th birthday party! I, along with Crystal's friends, Glenda and Marlen, planned this party solely over text messaging. Because Crystal loves dancing to the beats of Salsa and Merengue music, the girls' idea was to transform the house into a tropical paradise. Wow, did they manage to pull that off! As Crystal and I were off to the cinema to watch the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Sammy, Isabela and the girls created the perfect tone with pineapples, palm trees and other paraphernalia to bring happiness into Crystal's heart.

We will have a more private, intimate celebration for Crystal with my friends on Saturday and then another one with Sammy's family on Sunday. This will also be the time for everyone to wish her well as she sets off on her academic journey.

Like I said before, in Latino fashion, we are all about partying at this house. One, and most important aspect of my culture that I hope the girls learn from me, from our life. There is something to celebrate in everything.

As I part on this phase of our life, to greet what our new roles will be, I have been checking on myself to see how I am doing. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I was really sad. Now, I am on the path to transcending. Honestly, it's not any clever doing on my part. My friends and Sammy have been pulling me up. Not anything in particular they have done, but only the one thing that could work, like supporting me by being there for me in any capacity. I have one friend who emailed me to set up a happy hour date specifically on the week after I drop off Crystal and another tell me that she has every intention on calling me every day after the big drop-off. I know it doesn't end there. How on earth could I ever spiral downward with that support in place?!!?

Now, Can someone tell me how to be a mother of a young adult when I am only really finally finding out for myself at age 32 what being an adult really is???? AND a mother of a preschooler who is already at that stage where it's all "Mami, I am a big girl, I can do it by myself." That's where the second book will start for me...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was a wonderful party and we are so glad to be a part of Isabela's life. Happy Birthday, sweet one!