Monday, September 8, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed






When signing in to commence this post, thinking it would be my final one for the girls' first journal book, I noticed that this post is my 100th one. What a great number to end on. On this post, the intention is to fill you in on the most perfect weekend trip of my life. It's about two weeks overdue, but I hope you will understand when I tell you that it was something that I wanted to keep for myself for a just bit. I came back so happy and utterly satisfied with the way the weekend unfolded, that I did not want to sit down, analyze and allow the errors of the weekend to cloud my happiness. Also, I did not want to see in black and white that Crystal has left. I still don't, but I must face it head-on.

Earlier on, I shared the slide show of our college drop-off and our family bonding time. We were definitely snapping away at most moments. There was only one moment that I did not capture, an intoxicating one, mostly because my arms were holding Isabela and because I wanted to have to etch it deep in my heart in order to preserve it. I will share that one as it happens in my story.

So, the week leading up to Crystal's departure was one hectic one! Sammy was in Wisconsin and Chicago for 5 days. It wasn't as physically demanding as I thought it was going to be on me. Crystal was very organized and quite successfully recruited arm lifting from fellow male friends. I stood back mainly and took photographs. When it came time to leaving Houston, I came around to feeling more excited for Crystal than sad for myself. Plus, the fact that I knew she was returning for a 3 day Labor Day weekend really held me over nicely. Crystal drove her car and my mother, Isabela and I drove in my SUV. The drive was nice and my mother was a HUGE help along the way in entertaining Isabela and taking her to bathroom breaks. I absolutely dread public restrooms with a passion. In my really chic, burnt orange Longhorn t-shirt, we arrived in Austin about 11 am and the weather was absolutely crisp! It was about 97 degrees, the Dorm helpers were jamming out to loud top 40 music covering a few blocks, the parents were pumped up and the Dorm Hall had the most splendid food spread for us to feast on. Upon walking into the Dorm Center where registration was taking place, I will never forget how International the atmosphere felt. I heard various languages, saw a multitude of skin colors, but in all those parents' faces, you saw the same display of pride in their children. There was one father whom I heard tell his daughter just how cool the Dorm Center was and gave her a High 5. Strangely, I will never forget how cool I thought that was. I guess, in reality, we know that this new phase isn't only about the kids' education, but it's about living. Living among other young adults who together will shape each other's lives in the years to come. Oh the FUN they will have. Yeah, the downstairs mall, the movie theatre, the state of the art fitness center, the swimming pool and the weekly housekeeping (to name a few)isn't so bad either!

As unloading of Crystal's car was scheduled to be next, Sammy called me from Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Just as I thought everything was going smoothly and I was behaving with my emotional turmoil, Sammy tells me that Chicago is experiencing thunderstorms so because of the third delay, he missed his connecting flight to Austin. That was the flight that I purchased for him several weeks in advance in order to avoid the flight his company had purchased for him to Houston and in an effort to enjoy his company earlier in the day. $200 wasted, instead of his 4 pm arrival to Austin, it would be 10 pm. I wanted to yell at United Airlines, instead, I had to come to terms with the plan that God must have had. So, after we spent a few hours unpacking Crystal's belongings and setting up her comfy bed, the four of us girls, drove to our favorite hotel that sits on Downtown's Town Lake and hurriedly geared up for the pool that was accompanied with a bottle of white wine and cheese. It was a very pleasant afternoon. I never got in the water, but cherished every moment that Crystal wanted to sneak in with Isabela as she dunked her in the pool.

After all the girls were in bed, Crystal exhausted, my mom giving in to her tiredness and Isabela fighting her sleep, I dressed myself up to surprise Sammy with a night out in Downtown's Warehouse District. I was told about a band that would play all, if not most of U2's music. But, before Sammy's taxi arrived to the hotel, I noticed Isabela a bit unsettled next to my mother. I took her in my arms and sat with her cupped in my arms next to the window overlooking the city. That was the most intoxicating moment for me. There was Crystal to my left, sleeping so peacefully, after she said she was staying in her dorm that night, but obviously, she felt no need to leave us. On the same left side, Isabela was spread on part of my body. But, on my right, the city of Austin was magnificently gleaming to me. I whispered to the city that it was worthy of Crystal, but that for one more night, we would share her. In those minutes, I felt a sense of calmness. After all those years of havoc and worrying about various uncontrollable natural events, our little family had something wonderful to look forward to. Crystal had made it...made it big. Isabela was there to watch it all. Also, it was nice to have my mother there with me. We don't have the easiest relationship, but I know she loves me through Isabela. As a matter of fact, she adores Isabela.

On Saturday, SAmmy and I took a stroll down my favorite running trail. It's ten miles around Town Lake (yikes..we only did 5 ;-)). Tunnels of trees, sounds of dogs paddling in the water, children's excitement feeding the organically white ducks, quiet travelers on kayaks skimming the water and the sound of tennis shoes hitting the ground...I told sammy I refused to listen to his ipod because I had enough melodies around me to pump me up. Gosh, I loved it! In the meantime, the girls showered and started on breakfast at the hotel. Shortly after, we left for the resort 2o miles away.

Again, upon our arrival, we darted to the pool area. WE purchased the $12 sunscreen for Izzy B and actually all of us, with my mom, argued over who got to take Isabela into the many pools and who got to relax tubing in the Lazy River. You see, each one of us wanted to enjoy Isabela enjoying herself. But, we had hours and hours of it, so we all got to. Sammy and Crystal even got to play a couple of games of beach volleyball. It was such an incredible fun place for kids. I deemed it as a Disney World type place...it was very magical. From the latest water innovations to basic horse shoe throwing with one hand with the other one holding a warm just-made smore. We kicked around balls, played on the playground, rode bikes through the trails, caressed horses, rolled around on grass, marvelled at the butterflies in the meadow and ate a delicious, abundant meal with plenty of desserts to fulfill a birthday girl's heart. Every single aspect of the resort was aimed at making the whole family come together with one activity after another. I think we all absolutely adored it. Another nice part? We cashed in a bunch of Hyatt Hotel points, so we did not pay for a hotel room all weekend long!

When Sunday came, after more fun activities, we left for Downtown Austin. We had lunch at a Thai restaurant on The Drag (next to the University). I cried at the table. The other parents around me attentively watched their college kids eat as I watched mine. I cried again, not caring who saw me in that tiny little noodle house. But, then, after many, many other past declines for fortune cookies because of their same old cheesy fortune strips, I decided to accept a fortune cookie for taste and give the tucked in message a chance since Sammy and Crystal were laughing at theirs. To my surprise, I did find a fortune, not only a message, but a fortune. The little strip of paper that now is housed in my black purse wallet reads : Welcome Change.

On August 24, Isabela's 4th birthday, without looking back, I left Crystal behind...on her own.

I love you my Tweeety Baby....

No comments: