Sunday, December 21, 2008

Tis the Season


Here's a peek at how I do Christmas. Got this one from Jennifer and Clair.


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I typically prefer paper, thick, non-pattern paper that allows the wide, glimmery ribbon to present itself exclusively. However, this year, most gifts will be in bags to save more time for unpacking my house. Only kids unfer the age of 5 will get wrapped presents.
2. Real tree or Artificial? After years with struggling with the inconveniences of my preferred "real" tree that we would chop down at the tree farm, we gave up and got a really nice artificial one that already has the lights wrapped around. Crystal is not happy still as she misses the scent, so I am on a mission to find a candle that will beautifully take its place.

3. When do you put up the tree? Normally, the Friday after Thanksgiving Day. This year, the morning after we moved in to our new house, Dec. 19.

4. When do you take the tree down? January 6. We save one gift to commemorate that special day.

5. Do you like eggnog? Absolutely! I have finally found the best low-fat version. Organic is the way to go. Crystal and I carefully drink the recommended serving. It can get dangerous on the hips!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? A Babyskates doll. A blonde doll that skated, run on batteries. It was the first toy I ever really wanted and got. Throughout my childhood, most of my other presents were given randomly to me when my mother would go as a recipient of local toy drives. So, I am a live testimony that donated toys to local drives really mean something....something huge!

7. Hardest person to buy for? Sammy. He always wants big ticket items. Really big! But, thinking about it, Crystal is so particular at her older age. I must always save receipts. Although, she loves the sentimental gifts a bunch.

8. Easiest person to buy for? Isabela. She finds happiness in anything.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, I have one made out of barro (clay). I purchased it in Guatemala. My grandmother let me have our 12 inch long Baby Jesus that dates back to 80 years ago, my great grandmother's. I get very nervous when holding it. I do love Jennifer's WillowTree one. I almost bought it last year, but I couldn't make myself spend the money (expensive!) If only someone could start one for me, too!

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I would never ever email. I also get very excited opening any cards sent to me. I prefer the photo style cards. I love seeing my family's or friends' children on the cards. I realize that a lot of effort was spent on them. However, I will not be sending any out this year. Not on the short list with moving into one house and sprucing up the old house for the new tenants...and oh, still have lots to shop for!

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Well, my mother-in-law gave me a pair of socks along with a sweater one Christmas. I didn't get the sock idea. But, now, those are my most favorite socks and I only wear them to sleep on nights I really need comfort. For example, I always take them with me when Isabela gets hospitalized. I really need them then.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? In today's modern world, I love the movie Love Actually. As for classics, I love any old, black and white movies where Christma is so simple, no hustle and bustle . Especially Miracle on 34th Street.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Once I have a finalized list and Sam's family has given me theirs. I will not go to the same store twice.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No. I tend to love anything I get. I am very sappy that way.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Capirotada, a Mexican bread pudding with raisins, cinnamon, cheese and nuts. But, especially Bunuelos, a Mexican thinly fried flour tortilla topped with cinnamon and sugar. yummy!!

16. Lights on the tree? White all the way!

17. Favorite Christmas song? Wham's "Last Christmas" for fun, modern purposes. But, I love All Ye Faithful and especially, Silent Night, for all its glory.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? All my immediate family is in town. If Isabela ever could handle the altitude change, I would love to fly down to see my extended family in Guatemala. Although, Crystal asked Isabela today what she thought about spending next Christmas in NYC.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? I guess. Haven't really ever tried.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Nada. I have not found something special enough. Tree toppers speak volumes.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Traditionally, I grew up opening presents after midnight mass on the 24th., while eating bunuelos. After marrying into Sammy's more American way, we compromised on opening one at midnight, and waiting until after Santa comes with the rest. But, we make it a special one at midnight.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Crime.

23. What theme or color are you using? I don't like themes, but I love brilliant color creations . I LOVE holly, maybe for its special significance related to Jesus. SO, I have bunches of red and some gold holly in my tree that flows well with our gold and pearl ornaments that I have used for many years. The only way we add to it every year is by adding one special ornament for each of us that represents something significant for us in that year. For this year, Crystal's ornament is a UT Longhorn, of course. Sam's is a Santa with a to-do list depicting his dutiful hard work spent on our current new house/old house jobs . I got myself a house front door featuring a nativity scene in the interior part, because it represents my wanting to move into our new house by Christmas. Lastly, Isabela's was a beautiful ballerina I got at the Nutcracker market, but it's missing, so she has a Starbucks one now. She adores coffee.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Tamales or Sam's family's old Italian style lasagna with Italian sausage.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A chandelier. I am very, very particular about them.

26. Do you have a favorite ornament, what? I love looking at Sammy's childhood ornaments.

27. Gifts from Santa? Unwrapped, just one big bow. Santa only brings one gift to each of us. So, when everybody comes down to see the tree, you always know which ones are from the jolly red-suited guy!

No comments: