Realizing that this year, the year of all the splendidness that comes with being 5 years old, I have had to really enhance the meaning of the "real" Christmas story for Isabela. Thankfully, Crystal has such a real, true understanding. She's pretty set. I know this because for as long as I can remember, she makes it very difficult to induldge her in the manufactured, materialistic part of gift-giving. She asks for nothing specific, but slightly hints around that she would forever embrace any little gift with sentiment. I so love her for that. In the past few years, for Isabela, we have slowly been building the pieces of how we would like for her to understand what Christmas means for us. The first step, who is Santa Claus? I don't mean St. Nicholas.
While I really make it a habit to not lie to Isabela under any circumstance, I have had to understand that as a kid, there are just things she really needs to have, even for a little bit, like Santa. So, our compromise has been that Santa exists, lives in the North Pole, dedicates his time to providing toys for children and is happy to deliver to ALL children ( there's no punitive action for being naughty). And, oh, he only brings 1 gift, a special one. The reason for only one, as we understand it, is because we want to make sure that there's enough for everyone. Plus, we can't let the red-suited man take all the credit for our hard-earned money (right?). Mami and Papi will be glad to share more gifts, so long as we can afford to. Oh, this year, we are going to try to change the cookies and milk left for Santa and instead leave him a special gift, just as he thinks of us. I can't remember where I got that idea, but I love it! I will let Isabela choose.
Second on the building efforts of Christmas, is sharing. Gift-giving around here has been fun. Isabela's big fuss has been with the act of sharing. She has rummaged through her closets and drawers for clothes and emptied out toy chests for toys to give up and share. We have shopped for barbies, socks, jammies, school supplies and food for various charitable events in her school and my school. Additionally, we have sat down and thought about each one of our friends to think about what we know makes them the happiest and have tried to match a suitable Christmas gift for them, to make them happier. It is an overwhelming warmth in my heart for me to see her heart reach out to love another. Generosity is the grandest virtue for me.
But, while this season of Christmas is so much about giving and buying and sharing, the truth of the matter is, it is also about ...taking. I so want Isabela to "take" in all the love and peace that comes with this season. When it is offered to her, because it will be, I want her to embrace it and hold on to it tightly, as the most delicate and treasured gifts of all, no matter who the giver is. The best place to start is from any and every opportunity to spend time with family and friends. I want her to know that those shared moments are priceless. That's the kind of stuff I believe we are here to "take".
Lastly, but most importantly, today I volunteered Isabela to participate in our Catholic Church's Christmas Eve's Rendition of the birth of Jesus Christ. On Christmas Eve, she will be one of the angels at the stable. Although Sammy and I know she will likely make it her own rendition by performing Pilate moves at the alter (that's what she did at today's rehearsal), as a means to be her silly self, we think it's important that she take in Center Stage of such a profound moment of our existance. In the midst of hundreds in the congregation, she will take part of a celebration and give thanks for "his" sacrifice. While knowing that I will be stared down and maybe even lauged at because my daughter, who is NOT eager to please, will force me to address her silly behavior, I volunteered to be one of the two coordinators. This is important.
Of course, my dearest Crystal and Isabela, I hope you realize that "Christmas " can happen every day, all year long. That will be up to you.
P.S. Santa, if you're reading this, Isabela has had her heart set on a pink diaper bag for her doll. No need to have Ms. Claus sew, Potter Barn Kids is the place to go!

Pictured is Isabela's bedside. The Santa presented used to be Sammy's when he was a kid. Just about 40 + years old!
-- Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:
Picturing little angel Isabela makes me smile.
Post a Comment