Saturday, December 26, 2009

Viscottis and Bunuelos

While I am not easily engaged with baking of any sorts, or induldging of most, there are two sweet treats that I will very eagerly labor over for the holidays. When I say "labor", I really do mean it.






To make Sicilian style Viscottis, to never be confused with "Biscottis", it is best to make them family style. There's tons of kneading to do, and precision of the ingredients is essential. As a matter of fact, this year, Sam's sister forgot to bring her grandmother's hand-written recipe to Sam's other sister's house so we tried to Google it to save her 45 miles of driving. But, after many iPhone and MacBook searches, we all wondered if it was really just a family concoction since we couldn't come up with the right recipe. So, off she went, our cookie making got a late start, but it enabled our arms and hands to rest from what would be 2.5 hours of uninterrupted kneading for 5 pairs of adult hands ( and my nephew, Zachary's) Good thing we all like each other and there was lots of good conversation to be had! In the end, the kids got to not cut shapes with cookie cutters, but mold them instead. As a bonus treat, they got to ice them!





So that was the Italian cake-like cookies. Of course, we had to ring in the new year with my favorite, Bunuelos! Yum, yum, yum! It is also quite the elaborate process. Sure, it looks like a fried tortilla with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top, but there are certain elements of it that are so much more laborous. It is a fine piece of fried bread.





Over the holidays, I took slithers of pies and cakes. All satisfactory. But, when it comes to Viscottis and Bunuelos, there's something about them that goes straight to my heart.
Just love my Italian-Mexican-Guatemalan Family!

-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: