Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Interlocking Triangles







Sammy works with an amazing meteorologist at the tv station. I have a personal relationship with her now, but I have yet to ever bump into her at the station, where she and Sam work. In all my encounters with her, she has been offering a service. The service is one for the children, the community or even more personal to me, a service to children with heart disease. She works from 1 a.m. To about 9 a.m., but have seen her volunteer around the clock. One of those events was at my request and the others were just pure coincidence. Because I have Isabela accompany me at most any events in which I volunteer my time, isabela has also built a relationship with this meteorologist. Isabela not only gets "shout outs" from her on social forums like blogs, Facebook and Twitter, but she sends her baked goods. Yes, the lady tracks hurricanes, plays golf, rescues injured animals, offers inspiration to local school kids and she is a Baker! Another reason why Isabela loves her.





Last week, she broadcasted her festive "star" cookies. It was on the first day of Hanukkah. That night, Sammy walked in with one of those cookies for Isabela. The Jewish star cookie symbolizes that God rules over the universe and his protection from all six directions. To me, on that evening, the cookie celebrated absence of discrimination, and unity of mankind.




Casey Curry is an example of a woman I want my girls to look up to. We never talk about politics, religion or money. We talk about what we would like to do for our world, today and tomorrow.

Isn't that what it's all about?

But, I must sheepishly add, she also loves to shop! That encounter between us will not be a coincidence :-)

If I had to share all of the same beliefs with everyone in my life, I am sure it would be one lonely world for me. In this country, I appreciate that we can embrace and support diversity-- no matter what that looks like. Oh how much more I can flourish in my own beliefs if I allow myself the opportunities to be more supportive of what is not natural to me.


-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: