So, Sammy and I got in a little tiff this evening as I was placing my body next to Isabala on her bed to put her to sleep. It must have been obvious to Isabela that I was a bit upset, but it was nothing really huge or heated. Nonetheless, a joyful voice was missing inside of me. So, after Sammy closed the door behind him, Isabela turns to me and says "Mami, can I say a bad word for you?" I immediately said "No!". But, within seconds, my curiosity got the best from me so I asked Isabela "Ok, if you tell me the bad word in my ear, whispering, I will let you say it." I wanted to know what she considered a "bad word". So, she let me have it...with a giggling whisper, the word uttered was "s-t-u-p-i-d!" At that moment, I realized, not that she knew that word, because I know exactly who's cell phone ringtone that came from, but what I learned was that sometimes kids need to vent, they need to cross that fine line...just like we, adults, need extra breathing room. I had to appreciate that she asked me for permission, mainly because she wanted my support. What a clever idea of hers. My last words to her on the topic were "Whenever you want to say a bad word, come to me and ask me to listen to you and I will let you whisper it in my ear". Why not??
By the way, Isabela, thanks for speaking a bad word for me, because I sort have wanted to say one all week long, but I guess you knew that already ;-))

No comments:
Post a Comment