Monday, July 21, 2008

Home Away from Home




Between a dentist appointment with Crystal's favorite, cute doctor and her first visit to her new, non-pediatric internal medicine doctor, Crystal and I managed to finally make a firm decision on her dormitory of choice at UT - Austin. She was given her 5th choice from the array of on-campus housing that is NOT co-ed, but instead a smaller residence hall with all women who seem to take stronger stands in unifying women for different purposes. Crystal wasn't really interested and it was obvious to me that she felt too restricted by the whole idea. So, I suggested that she check out the really cool, private residence hall that is still on campus, but way more diverse...and co-ed.

We got the lease on Saturday. We crunched numbers and compared amenities. The private, High-rise doesn't even compare to the public one. It newer, it's carpeted, it has a nice pool, a great gym, a movie theater, a mall, the dining hall has more healthier options and Crystal's favorite, a NON-community bathroom. Obviously, it is more expensive and it will cost us out-of-pocket since her scholarship will not cover all of it. Crystal knows that. So, instead of her asking me for the upgrade, she has suggested that we wait until next year while she takes the all-girl dorm. She told me " you know me, I am adaptable. As much as I would dislike a community bath, I can deal with it. Please don't spend the money on it for me." As I listened to her I thought about how much Crystal accepts things in her life and makes it work for herself. She's always so considerate of a dollar or any sacrifice we make for her. This is her first, exciting year in college and all she really wants is a semi-private bathroom??? Well, I think she deserves it. As I write this, she is at Fed-ex overnighting the lease agreement with my deposit check.

As I was writing that deposit check, Crystal had to fill in a personality card in order to appropriately match her with a roommate. These are the things Crystal wrote:

What are you like or like to do(herself): easy-going, neat, study hard, fun, healthy eating, fitness, recreational activities

What are you looking for in a roommate: studies hard, but is social, trustworthy, neat, school-spirited, ambitious, laid-back, non-smoker, preferrably a different race

I asked Crystal, "what do you really wish you could say on the card ?" No one rude or ghetto. LOL!!


I hope she finds her new best friend to add to her clan. Her future roommate will be so blessed with my baby, I just know it.

For now, we can continue picking out a duvet cover, rug, towels, etc. It's the most painful shopping experience of my life, but Crystal is so excited at picking out all the little and big things on her dorm-room list. She and her best friend have been making lists, scouring sales and in-store coupons. As we do our shopping and talking, I can't help to picture her upstairs bedroom getting emptier and emptier, stripping me of her here at home. I need to slap myself around and fully immerse myself in her excitement, because ultimately, it's her heart I am determined to make happy before I do mine.

Crystal, you are one of the most incredible people I know. You make it so easy to be your mom and your friend. I hope you get a window with a view of the city, you deserve that and more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait a min.... I thought I was your favorite cute doctor!!! I'm so bummed. Oh well. Way to go Crystal, you should feel so blessed to have such a caring family. Stephen