Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do You Smell What I Smell?

As I was pulling out my boring, pre-packaged Lean Cuisine meal from the microwave in the teacher's lounge, my friend commented on how good it smelled and recognized a zesty lemon scent in my steak sauce. I realized then that I have temporarily lost my scent of smell - due to my recently diagnosed sinus infection. But, that's not what struck me. What I ventured off to wonder about was what else I was missing out on with no olfactory sense. I know it will be back, but it stuck with me.
As I left my Dr.'s professional building in Houston's Med Center, the cold air hit me as I walked through the breezeway to my car. Again, I noticed that I smelled nothing in the air. So I asked myself, if I could never smell anything again, which scent would I miss the most? My answer came quickly ......the scent of children just coming in from playing outside in chilly temperatures. Yes, I like the way chilled sweat smells! I know, gross. But, when I was a classroom teacher, I loved it when my kids brought it in from their PE class. I love it when Isabela brings it in to my car after a good day of school. Why? I guess because it's a sweet, innocent validation of "fun-ness".
Don't worry, there are other more appealing scents like artificially- made ones, such as Vanilla and Fresh Spring Rain. Then there is the one of natural flowers in meadows.
I say "no thanks" to artificially-made baked goods scents...ugh! Not as good as chilled sweat.

No comments: