Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Tell-All Test

WE will soon know what the state of Isabela's heart actually is. As I type, she is having one catheter inserted through her neck another one through her groin area. Pressures are being checked and heart anatomy thoroughly inspected, all with cameras. The doctors, along with the staff, are making it all seem so simple. I am holding on to that thought. Being back in the hospital is all so familiar to me and Sammy. The scents, the noises, and especially the weary lines on parents' faces. Fortunately for us, we are being visited by many friends we made at the hospital, so lots of socializing was done this morning and it only helped in easing any of Isabela's anxiety...which was virtually zero! The Child Life Specialist told me that she normally recommends for parents not to talk much about surgery to their children until the day of. I confessed and shared with her everything I had said and done to prepare her. But, she was really impressed on how Isabela seemed ready and super comfortable. When role-playing with the doll to demonstrate medical tools in action, she was impressed by Isabela's comfort and knowledge of the vital drills. It was nice to see that Isabela was an easy patient, a BRAVE one, I must add. When wheeled away, I followed quietly until the last possible inch. I was listening out for cries for my presence. There weren't any. I could see her fingers in motion as she looked back and forth from right to left, chatting with the doctors who were pushing her roll-away bed toward the operating room. Ahhh..my little hero.

We have received two updates so far, an hour apart. She is doing well, catheters are in full force with their investigation.

Being assessed thoroughly to make sure she is in tip-top shape.
Ms. Tricia, the Child Life Specialist who was awesome! Left her boy doll and many band-aids to stick on him.

Isabela is pictured about with my iphone. I read her every text I received this morning sending her prayers and kisses!

If you ask me how I am doing, what I am thinking about right now, well, two things. One, I wonder what they are doing with her right now and subconsciously ordering my phone not to fail me. The other, will my happiness end in two hours? Will my world come to a crash in a deep black hole finding out that her heart is not as well as we have been thinking? Because, if so, then my complete and utter happiness will certainly cease.

No comments: