We just got back from my 2nd of the 6 visits to Austin, Texas for this Summer of 2008. Last week was the first trip and I made the trip with one of my good friends, Susan. We had two reasons for going. One was so that she could give me a personal tour of the city, now that we know Crystal will make it her new home. The second was for the mere reason of having a little break, as we are both Mommies. It was such a great little trip.
The second trip was with our little family and Sammy's dad, Pops. The intention was to introduce Crystal to the University of Texas so that she could make a mental connection with it prior to her first academic school year. We also extended our visit so that we could do fun, Austin type things like visiting Lake Travis, Austin Wildlife Zoo, Barton Springs, Downtown's extravagant Mexican tailed Bat performance at sunset and for historic amusement, the state's Capitol. Also, we wanted Crystal to take in the culture so that she could see that she was getting away from Texas, in a sense, but geographically speaking, not really.
Each of the past two times, I have delved into my suitcase and noticed the distinctive way in which I have packed my bag. Last week's consisted of fitted jeans, crisp shorts and cute sundresses with matching, somewhat comfy, stylish shoes. That wardrobe was designed for patio bars, nice dinners in the Warehouse District and leisure shopping. This week, it was rugged shorts, rugged shorts and then one extra one, just in case, along with two pairs of flip-flops and some half-looking tennis shoes. It was designed around Isabela.
In three weeks, Crystal and I return, as my 3rd visit. I don't know today what my luggage contents will look like, but it will be ALL about Crystal. It's her turn and only hers. She will be attending her week long orientation. The parents are only attending a day-long session, but I am staying for two days and then returning for her at the end of the week (the 4th visit).
The Fifth visit will likely be to leave her, to help her set up her dorm room, make her bed, hang her pictures....for her first day of class. I have dreaded and looked forward to that day all at once. I have replayed it over and over in my brain for many years...Crystal is making that dream come true now...wow..
The Sixth visit is the one I know I will make the following week for myself...just to see her and touch her.
Note: Those who know me well, know that I am really not fond of traveling, anywhere. I highly dislike living in a hotel, no matter how nice or fancy. It takes a lot to make me leave my home. I especially don't really enjoy road trips. But, for Crystal...no place is too far.

No comments:
Post a Comment