I taught second grade for seven years up until a few years ago. In this new professional role I have, I integrate Science concepts into my Reading Enrichment lessons with the 4th and 5th Graders because they have to take a Science TAKS (standardized) test, of course. Such lessons are hard for my brain as I have never really had a Scientific brain, nor did I appreciate the world of Science until we were faced with Isabela's special little broken heart. I had to then, revert back to the textbook. Now, I am trying to connect with it and implore upon my students how important it is to pay attention to it as it is an explanation as to how things function in this world.
But, today, I was caught in the middle of one Science lesson that I wasn't sure how to navigate through. I asked myself, "How do I explain to a 3 yr. old about death? Do I even want to right now?" Isabela is fascinated with Daddy Longlegs (sancudos in Spanish) right now. She is so quick to spot them in any crevice or corner. So, today, as I was cleaning the window sill, she spotted three of them that were obviously dead. She was asking why they didn't move and attempt to fly. I was stuck. All that came to my mind was the primary school lesson of "living vs. nonliving organisms". But, I was torn because we thank God every single night for our beating hearts and pray for one more day of it (and we get it). I didn't want her 3 year old brain to think God let down the "sancudos" or anyone else for that matter. I just don't know how to handle this one in an appropriate 3 year old way....
On a more upbeat note, Crystal's friends have informed me that the new cool saying down the High School Senior hallways and text messaging world is "Go Away Mosquito, Mosquito, Mosquito!" I told a mosquito that one day as it was fast approaching my little girl's arm. The warrior in me shouted out and apparently Isabela felt the reverence from it. So, now, she says it to anything and everything as a means, as she sees it, to protect herself or anyone around her and to just be silly. At the same time, it's really cute the way she says it so all the 18 year old's have now borrowed the line and use it in their own creative ways.
side note: Crystal is in Dallas right now. She is the President of the school's Texas Association for Future Educators. She has worked so hard to organize and present for the convention. I pray she makes it back to us safely tomorrow. We love you Crystal!

1 comment:
We haven't really had that question come up yet. But, here is how my sister dealt with it. Thought it might help.
http://chaneylife.blogspot.com/2007/10/our-little-girl-was-watching-lion-king.html
Post a Comment