Monday, March 10, 2008

Chef Isabela


On Mondays, I get home at about 3:30 pm and I rush to make a big dinner just in time for Crystal to enjoy after a long day at school and her 2 hour after-school job. Isabela is always such a big helper in preparing the food. When I say a "big help", I really mean it. Today, once she saw me pull out the Tilapia from the fridge, she quickly scooted the bar chair over to the pantry to pull out the bread crumbs. Before I knew it, the bar stool was on the other side of the kitchen, near the unlit stove, with two serving spoons in hand ready for scooping bread crumbs over the fillets. She then called on me to hand her a fillet and within seconds she had a fillet on the baking sheet! I looked over at her and realized that she knew how to bake fish! However, she got really grumpy when it came time to snap the ends off the green beans. It was too hard for her, so she decided to just salt them and eat as many as she could, uncooked! Isabela was clearly overjoyed with the dinner activities. Even in the end, she asked me to help her with the kitchen faucet. She was ready to wash dishes!


Notably, Isabela takes after Papi. Sammy loves to cook and loves to cook for people. I, on the other hand, cook out of necessity and duty. I can whip up some yummy low-fat foods, but when it comes to cooking normal food for the masses, I can't find my way. It's endearing to see some of Sammy in Isabela. I can only hope they find many more opportunities to be creative in the kitchen. I look forward to watching from a distance ;-)


On a different note, it's magnificent that Isabela got her wonderful check-up on her heart last week!!! We so look forward to watching her amazing personality blossom within the next year. God has blessed her with a good functioning heart and stronger lungs. What a treat to be able to avoid surgery this year and enjoy Crystal's last Summer before college. I don't have many plans for us this Summer, but just waking up together and granting their daily wishes.


As an imperfect mom, I love my perfect little life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a cook! I am so impressed, Isabela. I can't wait till you cook for me.

P.S.--BTW I am emailing you some of the pics that Cavett took of Isabela at the Dr.'s office. Pretty funny. Almost risque!