Friday, March 14, 2008

Isabela's Course




Yesterday, I emailed the admissions coordinator to Isabela's prospective school to inform her that we would likely enroll her there, but that I needed Spring Break week to process such an undertaking for her. I didn't realize then that what I meant by taking time to think was that I would wake up at 3:30 am and rampantly search via our cyberspace for other schools to make sure Isabela is going to the right one. For the past two hours, I have been dissecting the information in many directions. With two hours of lost sleep at 5:30 am, I am thinking that there's no way I will know how perfect a school is for Isabela until she lives it and is able to tell me about it through her eyes. So, a Christian School it is, for the next 10 years or just the next one. Isabela will tell.


Isabela has been held back from any type of school setting all this time because of her single-ventricle heart and asplenia. She can get sick easily and then that only hinders progress with her heart's development. BUT, her cardiologist highly recommends that she go now, for social development and overall holistic health. That is the one piece of advice I have hated. My little baby has been mine all this time. I have been able to control her environment. Now, I am forced to let go of her. I guess the best thing I can do is send her to a school in which everyone knows her name and she doesn't have to share her teacher with too many other kids.




To make matters worse for me, my anxiety was not even remotely stroked when I took Isabela to this particular school. Amazingly, I saw her in a different light. She seemed to pick up and connect with the energy around the classrooms. It was encouraging to see her come out of her usual shy disposition. It was clear that she wanted to be there. Even thereafter, she asks me when she can return. Honestly, I am thrilled for her and I can only hope that the school will love her just the same way.

I pray that I am leading Isabela on the right educational track appropriate for her. As a public school educator, I have issues with private schools. But, as a mother, I have issues with public schools. I just wonder, as a child, what Isabela will not have issues with.

(as for Crystal's school for next year, we find out all of her options in about 15 days!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know it is hard and it sucks, but you are doing the right thing. :)

Unknown said...

Hi my name is Anabella & I have a 5 yr old daughter w/Heterotaxy w/polysplenia w/funtional asplenia. Do you have a fever plan? If so make sure the school gets a copy. Also make sure that you have the nurse do an Individual Health Plan for your child. It hard letting are little ones go to school because they are special and we don't want them to get sick.
God Bless and take care,
Anabella