Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mother's Day?


Late this morning, Isabela was especially curious asking questions based on what she observed around her. Because, she was in such a talking mood, I had to hit the park's trail in walking mode instead of on running mode because my body can't handle running and talking at the same time. We talked about why the clouds were the grayish color, why the sun was not poking out and what would happen to the little puddles of water on the ground once the sun made an appearance. As we were caught up in our discussion, an older woman ran by us and startled me when she said "Happy Mother's Day!" with a smile as she pointed to Isabela. Ok, being a serious sentimental person I am, tears rolled down my face. It felt so nice to know that I had such an important job that even strangers appreciated my efforts. Besides, in the end, I am held accountable by our society. Nonetheless, Isabela asked me why she said that to me. So, my answer was a long one...."because a Mommy's job is celebrated. A Mommy's job is to feed you, bathe you, read with you, take you to the Dr., give you your medications, hug you, etc." When I asked Isabela to help me think of other things Mami does, she said "I don't know" and changed the subject. We continued on our walk through the park's trail.


An hour later, as we were playing in the playground, Isabela was asking me to hold her hand as she attempted to walk across a raised beam. I refused and asked her to try it herself slowly by gripping on to an upper rail. Normally, I just let her hold on to me. Today, I wanted her to challenge her body, even though her height is disproportional to the design of the activity. Isabela laughed and repeatedly asked me for assistance. She obviously liked the challenge, but wanted me to grab on "just in case". Well, after many "No, you can do it, show yourself, Isabela", Isabela looked straight at me and answered my previous question by saying to me in Spanish, "A Mommy's job is to make sure I don't fall". I said "you're right, Isabela. I will catch you" Silently, I knew that was true on that beam, but I wished that were true in all cases. But, the fact of the matter is that there are moments in which I have to let her fall...and I will. Now, that's the hardest part of being a Mother.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, your first post that made me cry! Loved the part about being held accountable by society. And you took the words right out of my mouth at the end! Fantastic and Happy Mother's Day to one of the best!