Memorial Day is usually thought of as the kick-off to summer. While that may be the case, there's a really important reason why we observe the 4th Monday of the month of May....a REALLY important one. Just like I want Isabela to realize what happens around in and in other places way far from here, I want her to understand the privilege of living in this country of the free. It didn't and currently does not come very easily to us, Americans, and it has taken great sacrifices by the military and their families.
We constructed a US flag. While the project emphasized on patterns, counting and art concepts(and patience for me) , there was also a story told. This morning, with all my efforts to get a sick toddler out of bed who had a really hard night sleeping because of the stubborn cough that has come with her tonsillitis, we managed to make it to my school's morning announcements at 8:45 am. Along with other 4 year olds, we looked up to the mighty US flag and pledged our allegiance. This was a first for Isabela and she wondered what we were doing by resting our right hand over our heart. Nonetheless, she showed the flag some respect and respectfully raised her hand, too.
I hope one day she truly understands the fortune she has in this country and appreciates those who ensure our freedom and safety.
I wish you a happy Memorial Day and I can't wait to honor the day with some sweet wine :-))

No comments:
Post a Comment